Adsense

Thursday, November 09, 2006

My Creative Story: Julie M Ocean



SUNBURY, OHIO, USA
Morrison Mosaics, Metal and Sculptures

I am a mosaic artist who lives with my family just outside Columbus, Ohio. I have created several large mosaics to auction off at charity events. The most recent one was the Street Corners Project in 2003, which was inspired by the Chicago Cows. Artists were sought to embellish giant ears of corn, measuring in at six feet tall. They were placed in various locations around the city.

Presently, I am working on new three dimensional sculptural mosaics for an upcoming holiday show at MacWorthington Gallerie in the Short North area of Columbus. In our studio we make 90% of the tile we use and glaze them by hand. While it is a time consuming process, we are able to embellish the tiles and glaze them with the colors we need. We are geared toward one of a kind or custom pieces. This gives them more value. To see more of my work, we encourage you to check it out at:
http://mypeoplepc.com/members/superdave55/morrisonmosaics

What does creativity mean to you?A chance for the heart and soul to express itself, reaching into other hearts and souls on a level words can not touch.


What is your creative passion? How do you approach it?Mosaics with sculpture. I listen to wordless music, light candles; try to do something unusual to start the creative process. First the sculpture: I usually get an idea while thinking, or writing or working on another project. I sketch out concepts and work on problem solving. The porcelain tile I use for mosaics is made in our studio. We also have more control over the glazing process. I roll out lots of square footage and customize it through surface textures or shaping.

Describe the feeling you have when heavily into a creative activity you love.
I start and when I am starving, hours have passed. I am pretty task oriented, so I am motivated by my inner slave driver.

What does the creative process do you, or for, you?
It is very healing. Problems that have haunted me get answered in those intense studio times.

How have you fulfilled your own creative urges?
Through writing when I have no pictures, and creating pictures when words fail me.

What do you do to satisfy your soul?
My relationship with Jesus, and reading the Bible.

How are you creative in your life?It is just sticking out everywhere: music going, taking pictures to put on the wall, ornaments in the garden, interior decorating, making furniture, ethnic cooking.

Who has inspired you in your life to achieve your potential? How?
My Dad. He always said I could do whatever I put my mind to and he encouraged all six of his kids to do that. He also was a creative person. I felt understood by him. He also said, if you can read you can do anything.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: